Managing Smaller Projects
Duration: 1 day
This workshop is for those people who want to learn how to better apply project management techniques to manage small projects as part of their normal role.
When you need to implement a number of tasks or deliver a small project from start to end, this course looks at the benefits of managing them as a project. The workshop follows a project lifecycle and how to apply best practice throughout.
This ‘hands on’ session will show you everything you need to know in order to run or contribute to a successful small project.
By the end of the course you will be able to:
- Confidently use typical project management language and terminology
- Use a project lifecycle from start to finish to make it more straight forward and easily understood
- Identify the key stakeholders on the project
- Develop a robust project brief, including scope and measurable objectives
- Use a range of approaches for estimating task durations
- Proactively identify and manage your risks to improve the likelihood of success
- Develop effective project tracking processes
- Evaluate project performance and apply key learning for the future
- When could we apply Project Management Techniques
- The benefits good project management techniques bring
- The project lifecycle
- Project roles
- Avoiding the common pitfalls
- Developing the project Brief
- Stakeholder analysis
- Clear objective setting
- Defining the success criteria
- Using Work Breakdown Structures to identify tasks
- Estimating techniques
- Network diagrams
- Critical path analysis
- An introduction to Gantt charts
- Overview of risk management
- How to handle change
- Dealing with problems and issues
- Communicating progress
- Activities needed for Handover and project closure
- Measuring project success
- Measuring the project benefits
- Capturing the experience
- Lessons learnt
I would recommend the course, it really helps to understand the big picture of managing a project and ensuring what’s needed to achieve a clearly defined desired outcome. Enjoyed the session as trainer was very friendly and created a very good team atmosphere. Liked the team exercises. Being allowed to discuss my own project challenge ahead and one aspect of it (estimating time required).
Excellent course and trainer. Good high level review course to summarise the topic and highlight what participants may actually already know/do on the subject. Good and well paced, with knowledgeable trainer. Gave me confidence in what I already do and what I already know
It was a useful course for me and now I need to use this to benefit me on my forthcoming projects.
Excellent course and trainer. Yes I would recommend it, this is a strong overview of Project Management. The day’s course was very well managed. Mike had total control of the day. For me as a total beginner to Project Management this gave a great in site to the terminology, time-lines, estimating and thinking outside the box
Excellent course and trainer, very informative. Right pitch and interesting.
I would recommend the course, clear introduction of how project management can work, so depending on the role it can be very useful. Excellent course. What I found most useful was the overall view of Project management improvements.
Good presentation style – Good interactions with the participants. Good response to the participants.